Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This is pretty much awesome...

I think Prof. Hollinden (instructor for the Zappa class) likes me. He asked for a show of hands for who had more than 10 Zappa albums, then 20, 30, 40...it was down to me. He asked me how many I had:
"Well, it might be better if I tell you which ones I don't have..."
It's only four albums, not counting the posthumous material. And even some of that I have. Thank God for Bit-Torrent.

Monday night I had the worst case of insomnia since Shelley and I broke up. I must be extremely sensitive to caffeine...anyway, I went to bed at 6:30 AM and woke up at 8. From that point onward, I was up and in class until 9:15. In the evening. Kate came over around 11:40, and apparently I'd slept for an hour before she came up.

"It’s getting late
To give you up
I took a sip
From my devil's cup
Slowly
It’s taking over me

You're too high
You can’t come down
Something in the air
Spinnin' round and round
Can you feel me now

With a taste of your lips
I’m on a ride
You're toxic I'm slipping under
With a taste of a poison paradise
I’m addicted to you
But I know that you’re toxic
And I love what you do
But I know that you’re toxic"
- Local H, "Toxic" (yeah, I know, it's a Britney Spears cover...but it kicks ass.)

All my classes are just fine. The great news (hence the title of this entry), however, is this:

We have a guest lecturer in the Frank Zappa class on 9/10. This alone had me excited.

It's none other than Jimmy Carl Black, the original drummer for The Mothers of Invention.

I honestly rank this above meeting Ringo Starr, as awesome as that would be.

Anyway, this weekend Bill Bowser is coming up for a long-overdue visit. Tonight is my first screening for the avant-garde film class.

Which reminds me, Shelley is in that class, too. The Zappa class ends right at 4, the film class starts at 4. I've emailed my instructors, and I think I'll just show up a few minutes late to the film class. (Ah, just like high school...) Anyway, Joan (my instructor) was giving me a syllabus and a notecard to fill out. Right as I'm walking by Shelley she motions for me to sit next to her. I decline, and she acts a little huffy because apparently she'd saved a seat for me.

*rolls eyes*
Yeah.

Since the film class gives an intensive writing credit (and I've already done one with the same instructor) I get to do a final project instead of a big-ass paper. I guess I can consider it my senior project, as this is the last Communication and Culture class I'm doing as an undergrad. It's weird to think in those terms, but here I am.

I had a dream that I had a comment on here from "Dad." I don't know if it really was the old man, but I remember it not bothering me as much as it might in real life.

My phonetics instructor looks like Bianca Jagger.

That's all I can think of for now. I should finish my email to m@ and then shower and eat.

Alex

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't huffy, just a little insulted that a friend (I hope) didn't want to sit next to me. That is all.

Onto something else...Jimmy Carl Black!!!!! There is really nothing to say to that except....hell yea!

Anonymous said...

You know, I just wish I knew enough to GET excited about some of the music/film things about which you write. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Two more things:
1. I still never got your email; and
2. "Toxic" The best cover I've heard so far of that has been by Nickel Creek...who I am getting to see October 20. Front row center. Yeah, I'm actually kind of excited about that one.